STAFFAN MOSSENMARK (born 1961)
Member of the Society of Swedish Composers (FST)
Member of the The International Society For Contemporary Music (ISCM)
Full Professor, Academy of Music and Drama, Göteborg University
Artistic director Gothenburg Art Sounds 2009-
Artistic director Verona, Bolzano Risona, Porto Sonora 2007-
Member of the The Swedish Arts Grants Committee 2006-2012
Mossenmarks is often seen as a boundarie breaker, a person who has went his own way. Internationally Mossenmarks compositions has been performed at concerts at the radio and TV, aswell as around Europe as in USA, Canada, Japan, China and Australia.
Mossenmark is often hired as a lecturer and leader of workshops at art, architect and design schools both in Sweden and internationally. In Sweden Mossenmark teaches in soundart by the Academy of Music and Drama at the University of Gothenburg and is involved in the sound research group USIT - Urban Sound Institute.
A big part of Mossenmarks artistry and composing is the interest of our everyday sounds and the sounding things that surrounds us everyday. By composing with sounds that you can easily recognize, Mossenmark has managed to reach out to a general audience, outside the traditional music and culture audience. To communicate and invite a audience that has no special knowledge and this way try to break the borders and hierarchies, is an important and central goal.
Through this interest compositions and projects has grown, pieces that naturally exceed the different artist disciplines. Compositions - sounds events such as OZONE II - Concert for 24 ice cream vans, Phony - Concert for cellphones, Song of a siren - Concert for boats, V8 - Concert for american cars, Scooter Ballet - Concert for snow scooters and WROOM - concert for 100 Harley-Davidson motorcycles
"Songs from a shower cabine", here Mossenmark urged the public, through Swedish Radio, to send recordings from when they sing at home in the shower. Mossenmark then composed a choir piece made from the recordings which was later aired at Swedish Radio.
In 1999, the Cultural Centre in Stockholm commissioned a concert for motorcycles. This resulted in the concert "Wroom", a concert for 100 Harley-Davidson motorcycles with there roaring engines, this lead by a conductor.
During the opening night of the International Festival for Performing Arts of Gothenburg, the concert IRON - Concert for bodybuilders had its first performance. 20 something oiled up bodybuilders dressed in workwear and sunglasses, wandered down Kungsportsavenyn, Gothenburg, while trailing 6 meter long concrete steel, one in each hand, everything according to the composition.
Mossenmark also compose in classic forms, then mostly chamber music and opera. The musical dramatic form has becomed a big part of the production and today this has resulted in 6 musical dramatic pieces. The first opera that Mossenmark composed was Mrs Björks destiny and adventures (1993-94) which was based on the novel by Jonas Gardell by the same name. The opera was commissioned by Vadstena Academy.
After this Mossenmark has composed the following musical dramatic pieces; "The Changeling" -98, Selma Lagerlöf, Music Theatre of Värmland, "The Fair Maidens Mountain" -01 Culture School of Lund, "But Think Of Me Then!" -02, Music in West, "A Short Time Ago" Baldersnäs/Steneby Park of Knowledge -03 and "Stjärneborg" -05 Swedish Radio P1/P2.
DOWNLOAD MORE INFO
Download selection of pieces/projects: 1990-2015 (PDF)
- GUJ 6-2018 Interview: Konsten behöver kreativa konflikter PDF (in Swedish)
- GUJ 2-2007 Profilen: Motormusik och motståndspedagogik PDF (in Swedish)
- University of Macedonia, Thessaloniki, Greece
- Inter.noise, New York City, USA
- Yasar University, Izmir, Turkey
- The Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (RSAMD), Glasgow, Scotland
- ESMAE - Escola Superior de Música, Artes e Espectáculo, Porto, Portugal
- Universität für musik und darstellende kunst wien, institut für elektroakustik, experimentell und angewandte musik, Wien, Austria
- Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre, Vilnius, Lithuania
- Syddansk Musikkonservatorium i Esbjerg, Esbjerg, Denmark
- Concercatorio Claudio Monteverdi, Bolzano, Italy
- Conservatorio di Musica di Perugia, Perugia, Italy
- Barents Spektakel, Kirkenes, Norway
- Accademia Cignaroli, Verona, Italy
- The Swedish Centre for Audio Migration, Västervik, Sweden
- Harstad International Festival, Harstad, Norway
- University College of Film, Radio, Television and Theatre, Stockholm, Sweden
- University College of Dance, Stockholm, Sweden
- Conservatorio di musica, Lisabon, Portugal
- African Music Educators Network, Johannesburg Art Gallery, South Africa
- Conservatorio di musica, Verona, Italy
- Radar Festival, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Museum of contemporary art, Roskilde, Denmark
- Bergen National Academy of the Arts, Bergen, Norway
- The Royal Danish Academy of Music, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Chalmers university of technology and architecture, Göteborg, Sweden
- Valand School of Fine Arts, Göteborg, Sweden
- Trondheim Academy of Fine Art, Trondheim, Norway
- Bergen University College, Bergen, Norway
- Gotland's College of Fine Arts and Gotland School of Music Composition, Visby, Sweden
- University college of arts, crafts and design, Stockholm, Sweden
- Swedish Radio, Göteborg, Sweden
- Department of Musicolog, Uppsala, Sweden
- The Röhsska Museum of Design and Decorative Arts, Göteborg, Sweden
- Bergen Academy of architecture, Bergen, Norway